Pure comfort food. This dish is absolutely scrumptious and, although we like it as an every-day side dish, it’s pretty enough for the Thanksgiving table! Be sure not to compromise on the ingredients. We want full-fat cheese that we grate ourselves and full fat cream. Worried about the fat? Be sure to follow our “Healthy Weight Myths” series!! 😉
What You’ll Need
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 to 8 ounces aged cheese (we love the Kerrygold Aged Cheddar, but whatever you pick make sure it’s full-fat and very flavorful!)
- unrefined sea salt (it’s a health food! Read about why you need it, here!)
- white pepper (you can use multicolored or black, too)
What To Do
- Preheat the oven (or toaster oven, like we do) to 375 degrees.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices (feel free to do circles or half circles).
- Shred the cheese and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste. Use however much of the seasonings as your family will like. We enjoy about 1/3 teaspoon of nutmeg, but that’s too much for some people. 🙂
- In a buttered 2 quart baking dish, layer 1/3 of the sweet potato slices.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the cream mixture evenly over the sweet potato layer and then sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat with 1/3 of the sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup of cream and 1/3 of the cheese.
- For the last layer, use the rest of each ingredient (that’s 3/4 cup of the cream over the top, just to get into all the nooks and crannies).
- Cover with tin foil, making certain not to let the foil touch the cheese, and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 10 to 20 minutes to get that delicious golden crust on top, then test with a fork to make sure the sweet potatoes are tender.