Don’t you just love the smell of fresh orange zest? Mmm… makes my mouth water just thinking about it. The store-bought zest in a jar just doesn’t work for me. It always tastes a little bitter. Since I don’t like the zest from the store and I can’t always find a good organic orange to use fresh, I made my own! Delicious!
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting.
- Wash the orange, dry well and use a vegetable peeler to remove thin slices of the peel. Take care not to include the white part.
- Spread out the peelings on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and turn it off (we just want a warm, dry environment, we don’t want to cook them).
- Once they are dry and cool (give them a few hours), you can store them in a glass jar.
You can use the peelings as they are for tea (YUM!!!) or you can crumble them to use as orange zest. Enjoy!
This post is part of Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable. Check it out for more great posts!