Don’t you just love the smell of fresh orange zest? Mmm… makes my mouth water just thinking about it. The store-bought zest in a jar just doesn’t work for me. It always tastes a little bitter. Since I don’t like the zest from the store and I can’t always find a good organic orange to use fresh, I made my own! Delicious!
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting.
- Wash the orange, dry well and use a vegetable peeler to remove thin slices of the peel. Take care not to include the white part.
- Spread out the peelings on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and turn it off (we just want a warm, dry environment, we don’t want to cook them).
- Once they are dry and cool (give them a few hours), you can store them in a glass jar.
You can use the peelings as they are for tea (YUM!!!) or you can crumble them to use as orange zest. Enjoy!