Oh, the joys of breathing after days of a stuffy nose! My four-year-old and I really got flattened by this cold and it’s just hanging on forever. Ugh. I decided to go beyond our basic cold care and cold remedy teas, so I pulled out some of our favorite herbs and made herbal steams. I use this steam to prevent and treat sinus infections, too!
Essential oils can be substituted, but please be cautious as they are much stronger.
What You’ll Need
- A medium to large heat-proof bowl.
- 6 to 8 cups of boiling water (filtered, so that you aren’t breathing chlorine!).
2 cups eucalyptus
1 cup peppermint
1/2 cup rosemary
1/4 cup thyme
- A large towel
What To Do
- Put the herbs in the bowl and bring the water to a boil.
- Pour the boiling water over the herbs and give them a quick stir.
- Lean over the bowl (start out about 12-18 inches from the bowl) and tent the towel over your head. Keep your eyes closed, since the peppermint steam can irritate them.
- Breath deeply, moving closer to the bowl as the water cools. Make sure to get fresh air if you’re feeling dizzy and don’t get close enough to burn your face with the steam.
- Blow your nose, as needed, don’t sniff!
- When the water cools, you can add more hot water or you can pour the water and herbs into a saucepan to get more use out of the herbs. Just keep the heat really low (we want it to steam, not simmer) and breathe the steam whenever you happen to walk past.
- A Jewel in the Making: Mish Mash
- Natural Living Mama: Natural Living Monday
- Prairie Homestead: Homestead Barn Hop
- Growing Home: Teach Me Tuesday
- Cornerstone Confession: Titus 2 Tuesday
- Like A Mustard Seed: Living Green Tuesday
- Far Above Rubies: Domestically Divine
- Organic Aspirations: Eco Kids
- Frugally Sustainable: Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways
- Mind, Body and Sole: Wildcrafting Wednesday
- Wise Woman Link-up
- We Are That Family: WFMW
- Authentic Simplicity: Healthy 2Day Wednesday
- Our Simple Country Life: Hearts4Home
- A Delightful Home: Your Green Resource
- A Little Bit Of Spain In Iowa: Simple Lives Thursday
- Jill’s Home Remedies: Natural Living Link-up