This is a fun and easy project that makes a lovely gift! This is the basic recipe I use and it can be tweaked a million ways. 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
- brown sugar
- oil (grapeseed for oily skin, sweet almond for dry, or a mixture)
- a pretty jar
- any essential oils you’d like
Here’s what you do:
- In a small bowl mix 1 cup of brown sugar with 2 tablespoons oil. You may add more oil, but be sure there isn’t so much that it pools at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add a few drops of essential oil, if you want a scented scrub. (If using a citrus oil, only use a few drops to avoid irritating your skin!)
- Put the mixture in a pretty jar.
How to use:
- Use a clean, dry hand or spoon to scoop out some scrub.
- Apply with light pressure in a circular motion to any part of the body (a scrub made with just brown sugar, grapeseed oil and raw honey is excellent for a facial… even on oily skin like mine! I promise, you won’t be greasy or breakout from grapeseed oil).
- Rinse with warm water, but do not wash the oil off. Instead, gently pat skin dry and let the oils soak in.
My favorite variations:
- Slightly reduce the oil and add a little raw honey
- Instead of essential oil, use powdered herbs, such as lavender or mint
- Use raw sugar for a more abrasive scrub for feet
As long as you keep this scrub in an air-tight container and make certain that only clean, dry hands or spoons enter it, it will last for a long time. I’ve never had a batch go bad, and a few large jars I’ve had for well over six months.