For months, I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a mocha that’s as good (or even better) than a coffee shop mocha. Not only did I want amazing flavor, but I also need something that doesn’t have a bunch of fake “food” in it. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives for me, thanks! Besides those things, it also needs to not require any expensive coffee-making equipment… and it wouldn’t hurt if it’s pretty quick and easy, too. I’m pretty easy to please, huh?
Well, this morning I had success! And it only takes four ingredients!
What You’ll Need:
- Your favorite coffee, brewed (I use an organic, fair-trade one)
- Cocoa or cacao powder
- Grade B maple syrup (organic, if you can!) (*use honey for a GAPS-friendly version!!)
- Cream (I use raw cream)
What To Do:
- Brew your favorite coffee.
- For each cup of mocha, put two tablespoons cocoa/cacao powder and two tablespoons maple syrup in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium-high heat, while gently whisking, until it is smooth (no lumps or dry powder left).
- Slowly whisk in the hot coffee (about 8 ounces per person) and remove from heat.
- Pour the mocha into coffee cups and add as much cream as you like (I add at least several tablespoons!).
So delicious! You can always increase or decrease the amounts of maple syrup and cocoa/cacao to suit your tastes. Don’t forget, though, the maple syrup and cocoa/cacao powder have a respectable amount of minerals in them, so don’t feel guilty! I just love how rich and creamy this mocha is. Instead of buying coffee out, I’m hoping to get into the habit of making this mocha to take with me when I go shopping. Now, to perfect a mocha “frappuccino”…
*A reader asked if honey could be used in place of maple syrup, so I tried it out. It is a delicious variation, though not as “chocolatey” as the original version. I did love it, though, so you might want to give it a try! It also makes it GAPS friendly.
Be sure to check out some of my other most popular food how-to posts!
Linked up at:
- Deep Roots at Home
- Healthy Home Economist: Monday Mania
- Homestead Revival: Barn Hop
- Food Renegade: Fight Back Friday
- Nourishing Simplicity: Simple Meals Friday
- Real Food, Real Frugal: Get Real Frugal Friday