A nice-smelling house can really create a special atmosphere. Comforting, soothing, energizing… there are so many possibilities. Most people use things with synthetic scents, such as candles, “plugins”, sprays, melting waxes and diffuser reeds. Those are full of toxins, irritants and many even have cancer-causing chemicals. Instead, let’s detox our homes and make them smell fantastic with all-natural scents! The first one we’ll learn to make is a room spray.
I like to use this in place of “odor-eliminating sprays” and linen sprays.
What You’ll Need
- Vodka: The alcohol evaporates quickly so that your furniture and carpets don’t stay damp.
- A spray bottle: I like to get little spritzing bottles form the health food store.
- Essential oils: It is important to buy completely natural essential oils, not synthetic ones.
What To Do
- Fill the spray bottle with an ounce or two of vodka.
- Add a total of 30-45 drops of essential oils.
- Gently shake and then test spray somewhere. Smell and see if you would like more oils, then add more if you want.
I don’t make up more than an ounce or two at a time because I like to change what I’m using. Also, the potency of the oils will diminish more quickly once they have been mixed with the alcohol.
Here are a few fun ideas for scent combinations!
- Cold season: 20 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops peppermint, 10 drops tea tree.
- Holidays: 20 drops cinnamon, 10 drops orange, 10 drops cloves.
- Springtime: 20 drops rose, 10 drops lavender, 5 drops lemon.
- Sleepy time: 30 drops lavender, 10 drops roman chamomile, 10 drops neroli.
- Energizing: 40 drops of any combination of citrus oils.