This is one of my new favorite summer treats! There were some scrumptious looking strawberries at the grocery store right next to the freshly baked angel food cake… who can resist that?! Instead of plain ol’ strawberry shortcake, though, I wanted to get a bit creative. I decided to pull out the pie irons that we take camping and have some fun. If you aren’t familiar with pie irons, they are cast iron (sometimes aluminum) cooking tools to use over a campfire or grill. You can make “sandwiches” out of whatever you want and then grill them in the pie irons. We tried PB&J on our camping trip, but we just weren’t crazy about it. Tonight’s creation, however, we love!
What you need:
- Pie irons
- Angel food cake
- Dark chocolate, chopped
- Campfire or Grill
What to do:
- Butter the inside of the pie irons.
- Put a slice of angel food cake in one side of the iron (we have “double sandwich irons”, but there are also single ones available).
- Top with sliced strawberries and chocolate.
- Put another slice of angel food cake on the top and secure the other side of the pie iron closed.
- Put the pie iron in the fire (or on the grill) and wait several minutes. Flip and wait a few more minutes. (Cooking time depends on the heat of the fire and whether the pie iron is cast iron or aluminum, so check on the cake once in awhile to prevent burning!)