My eldest daughter has long, blond, slightly curly hair. It gets easily tangled, but any heavy conditioners or detanglers leave it flat. I needed to find a way to untangle it without weighing it down. About a year ago, I came up with this recipe, and we’ve been happily using it ever since!
The scent is nice, but fades away rather quickly, since there is no fixative.
Aloe juice is a natural, light conditioner and detangler. It doesn’t weigh hair down and just a little goes a very long way.
Lavender essential oil is believed to reduce hair breakage, increase growth, treat dandruff and prevent excessive oil on the scalp.
Sweet orange oil helps to untangle hair, smooth the hair cuticle and prevent split ends.
Rosemary essential oil is used to treat dandruff, increase circulation to the scalp and it helps to naturally preserve the aloe juice.
What You’ll Need
- A fine mist spray bottle
- aloe juice (not the gel- it’s too heavy for very fine hair)
- lavender essential oil
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil (“sweet” orange, not “bitter”)
- Rosemary Essential Oil
What To Do
- Pour 4 ounces of aloe juice into the bottle.
- Add 25 drops of lavender essential oil, 20 drops of orange essential oil and 10 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Put on the lid and gently shake to thoroughly mix in the essential oils.
- Spray as much as needed into wet or dry hair. We use 5 to 10 sprays before brushing tangles out of dry hair.
This amount lasts us for a couple of months and we have not had to refrigerate it, since the essential oils prevent bacteria and mold from growing.
*Safety note* This will burn if it gets sprayed into the eyes. Always have children close or cover their eyes before spraying and keep out of reach of young children.