When I began to make changes to detox my life as we moved towards more natural living, one thing that I had trouble with was finding a good option for removing grease stains from clothing. None of the crazy expensive all-natural stain removers worked and the toxic synthetic ones just weren’t an option I was comfortable with using. After much trial and error, I finally found a safe, natural and effective solution!
So, what is a natural mama to do when a big ol’ grease stain ends up on one of her favorite shirts?? I gracefully dribbled grease down the front of my shirt while biting into a sausage, which you can see in the photo on the left. Here’s what I did to save my shirt from the grease stain without dousing it in nasty toxins.
- Dab off as much grease as possible.
- Apply real eucalyptus essential oil to the stain. This stain only required a few drops- most stains need just one or two drops.
- Let it work for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash in whatever temperature is best for the material. For this shirt, I could only use cold water. If the material can handle it, warm water would work even better.
- DO NOT put the clothing into the dryer- just air dry. If the stain isn’t completely removed, apply eucalyptus oil and wash, again.
Most of the time, it only takes one application. For this stain, there is still a tiny hint of the original grease stain, so I’ll reapply and rewash. Always be sure that the stain is completely gone by air drying before putting the clothing through the dryer. The heat from the dryer can “set” the stain.
There you have it! This method works even better than those toxic sprays and gels, and eucalyptus oil is something we keep on hand, anyway. I have never had the oil fade the fabric, but you might want to test in an inconspicuous place, first.
*Warning! Somebody mentioned that it can fade the color on synthetic materials (polyester). We only buy natural materials, so I can’t say either way about this. Just be careful if your clothing is not made from cotton, bamboo or other natural materials, since it may fade.*
If you like this, be sure to check out my favorite all-natural homemade cleaning spray!
- The Better Mom
- Cornerstone Confessions: Titus 2 Tuesday
- Growing Home: Teach Me Tuesday
- Like Mama~Like Daughter: Eco Kids Tuesday
- Mercy Ink: Heart + Home
- Be Simply Better
- Whole Intentions: Healthy 2Day Wednesday
- Deep Roots at Home: Encourage One Another
- Women Living Well
- The Creative HomeAcre Hop
- Intoxicated On Life: Wellness Wednesday
- We Are That Family: WFMW
- Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- Holistic Squid: Party Wave Wednesday
- Frugally Sustainable
- Natural Living Mamma
- The Prairie Homestead: Barn Hop