Our teeth and gums are obviously essential for healthy living and over the years, your teeth are always at risk of injury or damage and therefore require regular oral examination. Dental experts recommend that you see your local dentist every 6 months, which allows the medical professional to examine your teeth and gums, looking for cavities and gum infection.
Here are some of the common oral issues that can develop at any stage of life:
- Cavities – The most common dental issue, cavities are caused by bacteria eating away at tooth enamel and a diet that is high in sugar usually results in cavities. Treating a cavity involves using a high-speed drill to clean out the hollow, then filling it with a white composite material. Cavities can be the result of poor oral hygiene and by brushing and flossing before and after sleep, you can reduce the risk of tooth decay.
- Periodontitis– This is the medical term for a gum infection, which can affect the teeth, gums and jawbone. A gum infection might be caused by a small cut in the gum, or it could be due to tooth decay that turns into gum disease. If left untreated, a gum infection can be very painful, with swelling that is painful to the touch. That would be a time to see an emergency dentist on the Gold Coast or in the city where you are residing as soon as possible. How does emergency dentistry work? There are no dental clinics open outside of regular hours, yet many top clinics will keep back appointment slots for emergency cases.
- Attrition– Worn tooth enamel is caused by teeth constantly rubbing against each other, known as bruxism, or teeth grinding. Attrition is usually accompanied by teeth sensitivity, as the nerves are exposed. Those who suffer attrition can wear a special mouth guard that prevents contact between upper and lower teeth.
- Dental Trauma – Often the result of a traffic accident or sporting collision, losing or breaking a tooth would require an emergency dental appointment, when X-Rays can be taken to determine the extent of the damage. Time is of the essence with a facial injury, especially when severe. Search with Google for the nearest dental clinic that has a slot set aside for dental emergencies and make the appointment. In the event of a lost tooth, try to locate the tooth and bring it with you, if possible, as there is a chance the tooth can be re-seated.
- Erosion– There are certain acids created in the mouth and those who do not produce saliva can experience erosion of the tooth enamel, as these acids eat away at the tooth enamel, gradually exposing the inner pulp.
Your teeth and gums are critical to your overall health and well-being and should you experience any pain or discomfort, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with your local dentist. It is advisable to have a check-up every six months, which gives the medical professional a chance to examine all aspects of your oral health.
Early detection and treatment is the secret to good oral health, coupled with a good oral hygiene regime and wearing protection when playing sports.