Tooth decay can affect anyone at any time, especially young children that have a high sugar diet and the decay is caused by sugar turning into acids that erode the tooth enamel, which over time, will cause a tiny hole to appear on the tooth enamel. This will grow if left unaddressed and it will reach a point where you can feel the cavity with your tongue. The best solution is to book an appointment with your local dentist as soon as possible.
Symptoms of Tooth Decay
The symptoms of tooth decay include the following:
- Toothache or sudden pain around the decayed area, as the nerves are exposed.
- Extra sensitive teeth, especially when consuming hot or cold food and drink.
- Visible holes in the teeth.
- Black, white or brown staining of the teeth.
- Pain when you bite down.
The reason people should have a dental examination every few months is to detect issues such as tooth decay and an early intervention obviously results in less damage.
Potential Treatments For Tooth Decay
Of course, there are numerous ways to treat tooth decay and they include the following:
- Filling– If the decay has not reached the pulp, then the dentist can fill the cavity with a composite material. The cavity first has to be cleaned, drilling out all the decayed material before filling the cavity.
- Root Canal Treatment – If the decay is extensive and has affected the pulp of the tooth, the dentist can clean out the root and replace the material with a sterile substance that will preserve the integrity of the roots and it might be that a crown needs to be fitted onto the damaged tooth.
- Dental Implants– If you are looking for dental implants in Sydney or in your city, a Google search will help you locate a nearby dentist and he or she would first have to examine you. The dentist will take a few X-Rays to determine if your jawbone structure is adequate to receive the titanium pins that are screwed into place. The titanium pins bond very well with human tissue and bone and after 10-12 weeks, the pins should be solid enough to provide an anchor for a prosthetic tooth.
Time Is Of The Essence
Tooth decay does not stop for anything and the longer you leave it before seeking treatment, the worse the decay will be. If you feel a slight hole in one of your teeth, you should immediately schedule an appointment with your local dentist, who can carry out suitable treatment before the problem gets worse.
Children that eat a lot of sweet things are more likely to suffer from tooth decay and therefore, you should monitor your child’s diet, while making sure that they see the dentist every few months. The dentist has special tools that allow him or her to check all teeth for signs of decay and they would poke around, checking that all the teeth are free from decay.
Good oral hygiene practices are recommended, as this reduces the risk of suffering from tooth decay, with brushing and flossing before and after sleep and after every meal.