In this day and age, most of us don’t even think about electricity until something goes wrong. This doesn’t mean you should stress about it every day, but if you do notice a sign of an electrical problem, don’t ignore it. Electrical malfunctions result in more than 47, 000 house fires every year, and the majority of those could have been prevented. You might think that this can’t happen to you, but you can never know for sure – and it’s always better to be safe than sorry. With that in mind, here are some of the warning signs that you should look out for.
Your circuit breaker trips too often
When working properly, your circuit breaker is supposed to switch off on its own when overloaded. It’s okay if it trips from time to time, but if you notice this happening every day, then there might be something wrong with it.
There is a weird smell
If you notice any burning, smoky, or unusual smell in your home, try to locate the source. If it’s coming from a new appliance, then don’t worry too much about it – new appliances tend to smell funny the first time they are used. However, if it’s coming from an outlet, make sure to turn off and unplug whatever is connected to it, because this could mean that your wire coverings are melting. In this case, don’t use the outlet, and call an electrician right away.
There is a buzzing sound
When everything is working properly, you shouldn’t “hear” electricity. However, bad wiring, broken outlets, and loose prongs can make the current jump, which produces a buzzing sound. If you live in the Land Down Under and you hear such a sound, don’t hesitate to call a professional electrician from Glenco who can locate your problem, fix it, and ensure that your home is safe.
Your lights are buzzing or flickering
If your lights are often flickering or buzzing, this could mean that there is some electrical issue, especially if this happens when you use some other electrical device or appliance. Lighting fixtures usually use only a small amount of power, which is why it is possible that there is a space heater or some major appliance that uses a lot more power wired to the same circuit. This problem could be solved by installing a separate circuit just for the appliances. However, it could also mean that your wiring is loose or bad, so don’t ignore this sign.
The power outlets don’t look right
Your appliances are meant to produce some amount of heat. However, if you notice any charring or scorch marks on your power outlets, it could mean that the wiring underneath is heating up too much, which is not supposed to happen and in most cases is a sign of some kind of damage. This should be taken very seriously, as such power outlets could lead to electrical fires. Similarly, if your power outlets are too warm or vibrating, it could be another problem with potentially serious consequences. With all that in mind, try to remember to check your power outlets from time to time.
You see sparks
If you feel any tingle or shock when touching your appliances, no matter how mild, don’t ignore it. Turn off the power in that area of your home – or at least unplug the appliances – and call an electrician. Moreover, sparks coming from your fuse fox or any power outlet is never a good sign. However, a sparking appliance could simply mean that the appliance is faulty, in which case an appliance repairman could test it and fix it easily. Plus, if you’ve bought the appliance recently, it should still be under the warranty, which means that it shouldn’t cost you anything to get it repaired. On the other hand, if the appliance is not the problem, call a reliable electrician to examine your power outlets.
Never take your electricity for granted since one overlooked issue can lead to costly consequences. Check your outlets from time to time, and don’t ignore any funny smells. Turn off your appliances if you notice any sparks coming from the outlets, check your lights if they start flickering, and most importantly, never try to fix any of these issues yourself. Always call a trained professional to repair your wiring, as only they can ensure that your home is safe and properly wired.